KENNETT MUNICIPAL COURT
What is Municipal Court?
Cases in Municipal Court involve alleged violations of city ordinances. If you have received a ticket for a municipal ordinance violation, you have certain rights and responsibilities.
Appointment of Counsel
You do not have a constitution right to have an attorney appointed to represent you unless jail time is a probable punishment. The Court will often allow you time to consult with a private attorney if requested.
An arraignment is your first appearance in Municipal Court. When you are given a ticket, you are also given a court date and time to appear in Municipal Court. When you appear at your arraignment, your name will be called. When your name is called approach the podium in front of the bench. The Judge will read the charge that has been filled against you. If you do not understand the charge, ask the Judge to explain it. When the Judge asks how you plead, you must say either “Guilty” or “Not Guilty”.
A Guilty Plea
If you plead guilty, you are admitting to a violation of a City Ordinance. You may tell the Judge any special circumstances that you believe lessen the seriousness of the violation. After listening to your explanation, the Judge will assess a penalty. When you plead guilty you will be giving up the following rights: 1) to hire an attorney to represent you; 2) to have a trial before the court of jury; 3) to call witnesses to testify for you; 4) to testify yourself; 5) to cross-examine any witnesses that the City may call; 6) the right to appeal the judgement and the penalty imposed.
A Not Guilty Plea
When you plead not guilty, the Judge will set a date for trial.
Plea and Payment without Court Appearance
- If your violation is listed below, and you want to plead guilty, you may pay your fine in advance and not appear in Court.
- Mail your ticket (signed on Back) with money orders, or cashier’s check (payable to Kennett Municipal Court) NO PERSONAL CHECKS to 200 Cedar St Kennett, MO 63857
- Online payments are accepted at www.courtmoney.com and using form #1206. Please have your citation number so that your payment is applied to the correct fines.
- Window payments by cash, money orders, cashier’s and debit/credit cards (fee applies) are accepted.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Municipal Court Clerk’s office between the hours of 8:00AM – 5:00 PM Monday – Friday at 573-888-6340 or we are located at 200 Cedar St Kennett, MO.
TO PLEAD NOT GUILTY YOU MUST COME TO COURT ON THE DATE GIVEN ON THE TICKET.
SPEEDING 25 MILES AND OVER THE LIMIT IS A MANDATORY COURT APPEARANCE
IF TICKET AROSE OUT OF A MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT YOU MUST APPEAR IN Court.
PERSONS UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE MUST APPEAR FOR COURT.
PERSONAL CHECKS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
SCHEDULE OF AMOUNTS DUE:
Speeding: 01 to 10 miles over……$55.00
11 to 20 miles over …… $80.00
21 to 24 miles over …… $130.00
No Seat Belt……$10.00
No Child Restraint……$50.00
No Operators License……$125.00
Stop Sign/Stop Light Violation……$80.00
Fire Lane Violation……$80.00
Handicap Zone Violation……$100.00
Fail to Register with DOR……$80.00
Fail to Yield Right of Way……$80.00
No Head Lights……$80.00
Fail to Wear Headgear……$25.00
Fail to Dim Lights……$80.00
Wrong Way on One Way Street……$80.00
Drove on Wrong Half of Road……$80.00
Fail to Use Signal……$80.00
Improper Vehicle Lights……$80.00
Fail to Yield for Emergency Vehicle……$100.00